For mining and earthmoving equipment operators, the decision to maintain an inventory of components in-house, rather than relying solely on OEM service exchange programs, is made for a wide range of operational factors.
Having your own set of components on hand, rather than relying solely on OEM service exchange programs for mining equipment operators, offers several benefits:
- Minimized Downtime: One of the primary advantages of having your own set of components is the ability to reduce equipment downtime. In a mining operation, downtime can be extremely costly, as it directly impacts productivity and revenue. By having spare components readily available, you can quickly replace faulty or worn-out parts, minimizing the time required for repairs or replacements.
- Increased Flexibility: With your own set of components, you have greater flexibility in terms of maintenance and repair scheduling. Instead of waiting for OEM service exchange programs, which may have lead times and logistical constraints, you can address equipment issues immediately. This flexibility allows you to plan maintenance and repairs according to your operational needs, ensuring optimal uptime.
- Cost Control: By having your own set of components, you have more control over the associated expenses. You can choose to source components from various suppliers, compare prices, and negotiate favourable terms. Over time, this can lead to cost savings, especially if you have a large fleet of mining equipment.
- Customization and Compatibility: By maintaining your own stock of components, you can ensure that they are specifically tailored to your equipment and any customizations you may have made. This enhances compatibility and reduces the risk of compatibility issues during replacements.
- Reduced Dependency: Relying solely on OEM service exchange programs means you are dependent on their availability and supply chain. If there are any disruptions or delays in their services, it can significantly impact your operations. By having your own components, you are less reliant on external factors and can maintain better control over your equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Extended Equipment Lifespan: Regular maintenance and timely component replacements contribute to extending the overall lifespan of mining equipment. With your own set of components, you can proactively address wear and tear, ensuring that your equipment operates efficiently and effectively for a longer period. This can lead to improved return on investment and reduced capital expenditure on new equipment.
- Knowing Your Iron: When swapping your components with an OEM exchange program, you are unable to control or have oversight of the hours that existed on the product you are receiving prior to it being rebuilt. Even though these components are being rebuilt to OEM specifications, it’s difficult to truly know the fatigue of individual components within the product.
It’s worth noting that while having your own set of components offers numerous benefits, it’s still essential to maintain a collaborative relationship with OEMs for technical support, specialized expertise, and warranty coverage, especially for complex or critical components. A well-balanced approach, combining in-house component stock with OEM support, can provide the best outcomes for mining equipment operators.
DGI Trading specialises in sourcing and distributing OEM components internationally. We are consistently identifying ways to minimise operating costs and maximise the output of our clients’ mining and construction machinery fleets.